Wednesday 29 February 2012

Jumper to slinky Scarf

~ Jumper to Scarf  ~


I have had this black jumper for a few years now,
it's been a favourite, not an expensive buy,
 but I love the slinky feel of the fabric


Sadly it gave up on me and developed a hole on the back.
I haven't worn it now for about a year but couldn't just throw it out,


So I re-fashioned it into something I could use


First I cut off the sleeves


then I cut up one of the side seams


 opened it out flat 


and trimmed of the ribbed waistband.


next I folded up the bottom longways over to reach the arm hole


luckily the hole was right on this line so I didn't lose any fabric width!


Then I divided the long strip into two skinny strips


and folded these over right sides together.....


and on to the sewing machine
 I sewed the two short cut flat ends together to make one very long skinny strip
  (sorry forgot to take a picture of that little step ...oops!) 


I then fitted the foot for over locking stitch  ( 'C' foot for a Janome ) 
and stitched all the way along the edge 

I then used a large safety pin pinned to the inside to help me turn the very long tube right side out



then hand stitched the two ends together to make a closed tube


 
and I now have a very re-usable slinky scarf!


glad I didn't throw that jumper out now!

Hope you found this little tutorial useful,
 perhaps you have a favourite jumper or top that could do with a re-fashion.

Yvonne x

5 comments:

Twiglet said...

Great tutorial - I never throw anything out - its good to find a second use for something.

Yvonne Moxon said...

Thanks for visiting, Im always delighted when I can save something and recycle it :)
Yvonne x

Lynn Holland said...

What a brilliant way to recycle jumpers and a fabulous tutorial Yvonne. I am keeping this in my Bookmarks to refer back to.
Lynn x

Su said...

What a clever way to recycle a jumper - I'm sure I've got some I could do this to as I too rarely throw anything away!

Yvonne Moxon said...

Thank you Lynn and Sue, it was really quick and easy to do and well worth it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...