Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Two String Rag Rug Loom

I decided not long after Charlotte was born, I was going to make a quilt from her baby clothes, or some of them, she had so many pretty things. A couple of weeks ago I sorted through them all choosing what I thought I could use in a quilt and I gave the rest away.
I have started on the blocks but first I wanted to show you this

These are the leftover bits, I decided to have a got at making a little rag rug.
This is the beginning


Pretty isn't it!
I pulled out an old book that I bought for pennies in a library sale about 10 yrs ago.
The book covers so many methods and after a couple of evenings reading the different styles I decided on the Loom Technique, this was rediscovered by Ann in a long out of print American book and works on the principle of the oriental Ghiordes knot.
After a lot of searching on the net it became clear that I wasn't going to pick up one of the looms from a stockist any time soon. However after finding a few pictures of different versions, some made of wire some of wood I run the idea by Kevin and he offered to make me one.
 How lucky am I!
 Made of  2 pieces of wood (I knew those old kitchen shelves would come in handy one day!)

  two large screws to hold two balls of cotton string and two eyelet screws to guide the string and hold in place
 (I just loop it round once and tighten it) 

One large hook at the bottom to hold it taught
and its ready to go!
with little pieces of cotton measuring half an inch wide x 2.5 inches long
I used a little cutting gauge made from a strip of cardboard.

I got my trusty assistant to to the next bit, she is very keen to have a go!

fabric looped over the top and up through the centre of the strings

These are fairly quick to do and once you have gone all the way up the string

its time to unhook and pull this length in front of the front hook again.
The length is worked on continuously until you have a few feet, then its time to coil it round and sew it flat on the back...... this is what it looks like

then pulled down tight to the hook....and so on.
So far I have used the leftovers of 3 little tops and one pair of all in one PJ's
and I'm just about ready to stitch some more in place.
What I like about this method is its easy to carry around and you can do it while you sit in the evening.
They are all fabric, no additional backing required and can be popped in the washing machine.
If you have any memories or stories of seing rugs made in this way I would love to hear them and any pictures of any of those rugs would be lovely to see.
Thanks for stopping by
Yvonne

6 comments:

Christine L said...

Oh wow!!! What a lovely idea to use baby clothes for... I've often thought of a memory quilt... I still have some baby clothes and my girls are in their mid 20's now! LOL
Hugs
Christine x

Boxoftrix said...

Hi Christine, I think its nice to keep some of their clothes, I still had my 18yr olds baby dresses which I wore on Charlotte :) Now I will have to do something with them for her too.

Carol Sherratt said...

Hi
I made an oval rug using this method around 12 years ago (without a loom)- the rug is still going strong and still looks good.
Rag rugs are popular now but there are very few tutorials using this method. I love how firm underfoot these rugs are.

Thanks

Carol

Danielle said...

What a unique, easy and strong rug making tutorial; thank you for sharing. Great job!

Danielle

Julie Jones said...

Wowwwwww
Great way for me to try this.
As I have problems with my joints I think this system would be quite gentle for me..

Julie Jones said...

Wowwwwww
Great way for me to try this.
As I have problems with my joints I think this system would be quite gentle for me..

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...