Saturday, 21 April 2012

Opening up the past

The 'challenge' this month has literally been to actually 'open' my sketchbook

First I opened a little A6 sketchbook from the past when I was at college all those years ago in the Borders when I made the 'Flower Quilt' The annotation beside the little watercolour flowers mentions applique as a proposed idea, I was reminded also that the six watercolour panels that I made were actually the second idea, the first being a single panel which I did make. I wasn't happy with it, mainly because I chose peach for the background fabric. I used a dip-dye method, I enjoyed the process but the end result didn't seem a good fit for the quilt so I didn't use it. I'm sure I must have this, probably in my portfolio with all the paintings and drawings, I will have to look it out.


 I remember now that worked on the six smaller panels during the summer break.


I have been working on the pieced border that I removed from the quilt
 separating all the squares, unpicking and removing all the stray threads.


I opened my sketchbook and again did some sketching then watercolour painting
 inspired again by the fabrics.


I'm thinking that it might be nice to make more panels for the back of the quilt using the same process I did back then after all I do have a lovely new set of the same watercolour dyes I used, actually this quilt was the reason I bought them the first time round.

Looks like my mend and reduce job is turning into another project.

2 comments:

Lynn Holland said...

Lovely to see your work Yvonne it is so good. I love your use of colour. Thanks for showing us.
Lynn x
One I made earlier today

frayedattheedge said...

Isn't it funny how we someties start what should be a straightforward job, and it grows into something major!! Love your watercolours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...